Re: Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> a écrit:

> On 2011-07-23 at 11:27, Dodji Seketeli wrote:
>> Why?  Do you have an example that would show where Shaun's proposal
>> falls short?
>
> it falls short in showing:
>
>   System Settings
>   KDE System Settings
>
> under Gnome, and:
>
>   System Settings
>   Gnome System Settings
>
> under KDE.

Oh, I see.

> the real solution is to make it unnecessary (or even conflicting) to
> install the KDE system settings shell under a Gnome environment, and the
> Gnome system settings under a KDE environment;

That would be a more elegant situation, IMO.

> these are configuring the system settings, and you can hardly have two
> systems running at the same time on the same machine.

Agreed.

> applications should not be configured through the *system* settings;
> and both system settings shell should configure the same services.

This makes sense to me.

>> You don't say why these would better address the issue "here and now" in
>> comparison with what Shaun is proposing.
>
> there is no "here and now" — that would be a hack. I hardly think we
> have to solve this *quickly*, so we should solve it correctly.

My point was to have the options written down and have interested people
explicitly say why a particular point is valid or not, rather than just
bluntly dismissing someone's point as being a non-solution without
providing rationale.

As for the "here and now", I don't personally perceive this issue as
urgent as I use GNOME only.  But I could imagine that some people do.

--
		Dodji