Re: Moduleset Reorganization -- Take two

Le jeudi 07 octobre 2010, à 17:08 +0200, Piñeiro a écrit :
> From: "Johannes Schmid" <jhs jsschmid de>
>
> > Hi!
> >
> >> Initially, for GNOME 3.0, it will be populated with the modules from the
> >> GNOME 2.x Desktop moduleset. However, we would like to slowly migrate
> >> some modules to the Applications moduleset.
> >
> > I guess everything related to accessibility will stay in "Desktop", right?
>
> This is a good question, and I have some doubts, probably because in
> some cases there are a thin line between "Core Desktop" and
> "Applications"
>
> I guess that in this proposal modules like at-spi2-atk or pyatspi2
> will be obviously in the "Core Desktop", as they are fundamental to
> the a11y support.

Right.

> But if we move forward toward the line we find Orca:
>  * It is a "application" => should stay in "Applications"?
>  * But it one of the basic accessibility modules => should stay in
>    "Core Desktop"?

I don't know a lot about accessibility, but to me, orca is (or at least,
was so far -- maybe it will change with a11y integration in the shell?)
a core part of the desktop for accessibility. It's what most people use
to really make the desktop accessible in the way they need.

> And if we keep moving forward we find Accerciser:
>  * It is a "application" => should stay in "Applications"?
>  * But it one of the basic accessibility modules => should stay in
>    "Core Desktop"?
>  * Well, yes, basic module, but for developers => additional point to
>    move it to "Applications"?

Accerciser, on the other hand, is a tool that is not useful for most
people. It's really a tool for developers (so there's no reason for it
to be in the Core), so it'd go in Applications.

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.