Re: Moduleset Reorganization -- Take two

Le samedi 09 octobre 2010, à 09:25 +0200, Josselin Mouette a écrit :
> Le jeudi 07 octobre 2010 à 13:38 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
> > API/ABI Stable Platfom
> > ======================
> >
> > The API/ABI Stable Platfom works in the exact same way as the GNOME 2.x
> > moduleset, but it can also include dbus services that guarantee
> > stability of their dbus interfaces.
>
> I’m thrilled to finally see guaranteed ABI stability on D-Bus
> interfaces. This has been one of the major problems we had to deal with
> upon upgrades. Unlike shared libraries, t is ver

It's worth pointing out that, so far, we have no dbus interface that
provides stability guarantees :-) Hopefully, saying that we can have
that in the platform will help maintainers decide to od it.

> > The Core Desktop is the set of components that are needed to get a
> > desktop session running and to have it provide core functionalities
> > (display manager, session manager, desktop shell, file manager, settings
> > manager, etc.).
>
> Where do you draw the line with some applications that should be part of
> any desktop, like eog and evince?

Right. That's the hard question :-) And that's an issue we have today:
how do we define the desktop? Should it include a browser (we chose
"yes" a few years ago), a video player (again, we chose "yes"), a IM
client (we only chose "yes" recently), a music library (so far, we
stayed with "no", but nearly all users use one).

I know Jon has been thinking about this and proposed a list of core
utilities that included some tools. We do need help to take a decision
here.

> >   + we strongly encourage the application developers to follow the GNOME
> >     development cycle. If a different development cycle is used, it has
> >     to be documented to help contributors.
>
> Without that, how do you decide, at the time of the release, which
> version of the application will go into the release?

If a different development cycle is used, it has to be documented (as
mentioned). So we can know what will be the stable version at the time
of the GNOME release, and therefore which version can be used. Or am I
missing something?

> This is not an innocent question; when something changes (often in an
> incompatible way) in the extended platform, you need to ensure that all
> applications work consistently with it.

Nod. Which is why most people will just use the GNOME cycle anyway ;-)
I mean this issue already exists as of today with applications that are
not blessed by GNOME, and it works fine in the end, doesn't it?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.