Re: New external dependencies for Rygel: GUPnP & Libgee

Hi Frederic,
   Thanks for the very quick reply. My reply below:

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:52 AM, Frederic Peters <fpeters gnome org> wrote:
> General questions first:
>
>  - Are there frequent releases of those?

  The GUPnP libraries, yes! libgee used to be very frequently released
until recently when the new maintainer just disappeared after he moved
to a new house. That said,  I haven't seen any issues with Libgee
after 0.5.0 release and if I (or anyone) do, I'm sure Jürg will take
over and make the releases happen in time. Right Jürg?

>  - Do you often need newer versions?

  Requirements of libgee haven't changed at all for quite some months
now. The GUPnP libraries are another story and Rygel's requirement for
them get bumped quite often.

>  - What are your relations with the upstream authors? (for example, can
>   you bother them with the GNOME schedule?)

  I'm one of the main authors of GUPnP libraries and (co-)maintainer.
Ross Burton is the main maintainer and he does a good job making
releases happen whenever needed.

  I'm sure Jürg can always be harassed to make the libgee release
happen in time. :)

> About gupnp, it depends on gssdp, right?

  Yes it does but gssdp is much more stable than the other GUPnP
libraries so it rarely needs changes/releases.

> About libgee, shouldn't this be in glib, or in the language itself,
> instead of an extra library?

  Don't know. I guess that would be a question for Jürg.

> Did you read http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointThirtyone/ExternalDependencies?

  I did but then again I've been reading a lot lately so things have
been slipping of my mind.

> Especially this part:
>
>  If you want to add a new dependency or want one of the minimum
>  versions updated, make a good case for it on desktop-devel-list (this
>  may only require a few sentences). In particular, provide reasons why
>  it is important to bump the version number, explain any impact
>  (compile and run time) on other modules, and list any additional
>  external dependencies it would pull in as well as any requirements on
>  newer versions of existing external dependencies. Be prepared for
>  others to take a few days to test it (in particular, to ensure it
>  builds) before giving a thumbs up or down.
>
> Are you ok with it?

   If you mean this decision taking some time, sure but rygel depended
on these libs when it was proposed for inclusion so I was hoping that
people have already tested it along with its dependencies.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124