Re: New external dependencies for Rygel: GUPnP & Libgee

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:

>    I would like to propose the following as blessed dependencies for Rygel:
>
> * gupnp >= 0.13.3
> * gupnp-av >= 0.5.5
> * gupnp-vala >= 0.6.5
> * libgee >= 0.5.0
>
>   The first three are part of GUPnP project and the last one is a
> collection library providing GObject-based interfaces and classes for
> commonly used data structures. Please visit the projects' home
> pages[1][2] for more information on them.

General questions first:

 - Are there frequent releases of those?
 - Do you often need newer versions?
 - What are your relations with the upstream authors? (for example, can
   you bother them with the GNOME schedule?)

About gupnp, it depends on gssdp, right?

About libgee, shouldn't this be in glib, or in the language itself,
instead of an extra library?

Did you read http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointThirtyone/ExternalDependencies?
Especially this part:

  If you want to add a new dependency or want one of the minimum
  versions updated, make a good case for it on desktop-devel-list (this
  may only require a few sentences). In particular, provide reasons why
  it is important to bump the version number, explain any impact
  (compile and run time) on other modules, and list any additional
  external dependencies it would pull in as well as any requirements on
  newer versions of existing external dependencies. Be prepared for
  others to take a few days to test it (in particular, to ensure it
  builds) before giving a thumbs up or down.

Are you ok with it?

        Frederic