Re: GNOME 3.0 in March 2011

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 09:56 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 09:24 +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
> > Paolo Borelli wrote:
> >
> > > I still would like to have a definitive description of what 2.32 apps
> > > can and cannot use: for instance will the new glib be part of the
> > > release (and hence gsettings etc)?
> >
> > There will be both a glib and a GTK+ 2.x release in September; modules
> > should still be ported to use GSettings, hopefully a GtkApplication
> > backport will land soon in GTK+ and module are encouraged to use it.
> >
> > Also the GTK+ 3 migrating story ("get your module building with gseal,
> > without using deprecated parts, and it will work") should still hold
> > true; there was a GTK+ meeting yesterday, probably they will send
> > minutes and a detailed status update.
> >
> > In the specific case of gedit, there's the issue of libpeas, it is
> > really your call if you want to start using it already in 2.32.
>
> Given that apps that wanted to port to GSettings are already ported, I
> really don't see why we're advising to use GTK+ 2.x/3.x selection at
> configure-time when we've been telling people to target GTK+ 3.x.
>
> Speaking about my modules, I will not accept any changes to make them
> work with GTK+ 2.x again, nor would I want people to waste their times
> doing that.
>
> The 2.32 story is inexistent: "Hey, you have a couple of weeks to
> release something that you didn't plan for, and that didn't exist".

right, because of this, I think 2.32 should just be 2.30 + some
backported changes. If we release 2.32 with some modules using
gsettings/gtk3/etc and others not using it, we end up having 2.32 =
gnome 3 beta, don't we?

As for control-center and gnome-settings-daemon, we are going to just
backport some fixes and release that as 2.32