Re: On Ctrl+tab

Op zaterdag 16-01-2010 om 13:17 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Jud Craft:

>  >> If GNOME used Ctrl-Shift-X for Copy, we'd all blame GNOME for being
>  >> pointlessly arbitrary.
>  >
>  > It doesn't, so I don't get the point your making here.
>
> It is an analogy to GNOME using Ctrl+Alt (or was it shift?) +
> PageUp/Down, where the other two platforms use Ctrl+Tab.
>
> It wasn't that hard to grasp.

Yes, I understand now. Ctrl+X, and Shift-Del, by the way, were
well-established conventions for Cut when the Gnome keyboard shortcuts
were designed. I don't think there was such a convention for tab
switching back then. Let me make it clear that I'm not against mapping
Ctrl+Tab to tab cycling as long as the current shortcuts are still
available *and* under the condition that a proper substitute for moving
widget focus is found.

> A platform with an HIG is supposed to give third-party application
> developers a consistent environment that makes it easier for them.
> GNOME's in particular also creates ignored bug reports and inconsistent
> application behavior.
>
> All third-party (separate from GNOME project) GTK apps I can think of
> disboey this convention of Ctrl-Alt-PageUp/Down.

So it is the apps that create the inconsistent behaviour, not Gnome. I
still hold that point of view. If the Gnome project would have the means
(and the desire) to enforce its guidelines as much as Apple does,
Firefox wouldn't have made it as the primary browser in many
distributions.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen