Re: Module Proposal: GNOME Shell

Ross Burton wrote:

> > I don't believe that is correct for any of the listed vendors even on
> > Linux. On BSD the situation is even more patchy.
> >
> > Is Gnome dropping support for these operating systems ?
>
> "The gnome-panel will still be available in GNOME 3.0 and will still be
> maintained for people without the correct hardware support"

Well, GNOME Shell is central to GNOME 3, as Owen wrote:

  GNOME Shell defines the GNOME 3 experience; the visual changes
  connected to GNOME 3 will be the first thing that any user of
  GNOME 3 notices.

GNOME 3 is designed, and there is no place for gnome-panel in this
design.

Sure there will be new gnome-panel releases, but I would prefer to
have them marked as 2.32.

And to quote again:

> "The gnome-panel will still be available in GNOME 3.0 and will still be
> maintained for people without the correct hardware support"

I would s/in GNOME 3.0/in GNOME 3.0 time/, and add "but that will not
be GNOME 3".

This may be harsh, and difficult, but this is, imho, necessary to give
a clear message of what GNOME 3 is.

And to answer Alan,

> > Is Gnome dropping support for these operating systems ?

I am sorry my only answer at the moment is "I wish not", but I am not
familiar enough with the state of graphic drivers, not even on Linux,
to know how wishful thinking it is.

Cheers,

        Frederic