Re: Module Proposal: GNOME Shell

Hi Naba!

> Does gnome-shell work without graphics capabilities?

No, you need a hardware accelerated graphic card.

> So, basically my question is do you have official plan to support
> non-accelerated machines, or is it just a bug? I guess there are still
> legitimate use of non-accelerated machines still valid.

The gnome-panel will still be available in GNOME 3.0 and will still be
maintained for people without the correct hardware support. As of now,
all intel, amd/ati and nvidia cards sold in the last five years should
be enough to run gnome-shell though you might need a binary driver for
nvidia or a rather new radeon driver with 3D support.

gnome-shell and this list have some longer discussion about hardware
requirements.

Regards,
Johannes