Trying a new toolbar style

Hi folks,

We've had a discussion on gnomecc list about removing the "Interface"
tab from the appearance capplet (see discussion¹ in the archive for
reasoning).

However, before we do so, we would like to ensure the the defaults are
correct. The main reason for the tab being there at all is because
people felt the defaults are probably incorrect.

The main default we would like to change is the "toolbar style"
settings. I have suggested¹ that there is broad support for the "text
beside icons" style, however there have been concerns that not all
applications implement it properly. It is important to note that in this
mode, only the most important toolbar items get text labels.

PLEASE TRY THIS OPTION BEFORE YOU COMMENT - A LOT OF PEOPLE DO NOT
REALISE THAT ONLY SOME TOOLBAR BUTTONS GET LABELS IN THIS MODE.

Therefore, I would like to propose a trial period with this setting set
to the new value, to give a chance for maintainers to ensure their
applications work correctly. I have (regrettably rather hastily) already
made the change to libgnome and I have opened a bug 590143 to discuss
any issues.

Regards,

Thomas

¹ http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomecc-list/2009-July/msg00015.html