Re: GNOME Menus restructuring

Le mardi 28 juillet 2009, à 13:04 -0400, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> We have done essentially this (with the extra Preferences menu in
> between) for a few releases in Fedora, and we have gone back to using
> a single Preferences menu by default now. The two main problems we
> faced with this are
>
> 1) deep menus are hard (your approach kinda avoids this by nuking Preferences)

(as you point out, not an issue with what we propose)

> 2) The categories are not clear enough to find what you are looking
> for without constantly strolling through several submenus.

Well, actually, I'd argue that having 4 menus instead of everything in
Preferences will help people in most cases. Just try it, and you'll see.

> I don't think any amount of reorganization will make the menus really
> good. A menu system is just not a good fit for this amount of data
> that is not very strictly categorized.
>
> I'd rather see us focus on moving away from these menus via
> gnome-shell and  and new control-center shell.

Sure, I agree. But this is a simple change that we can do now to improve
things now. Or make things less bad, if you prefer. If there was the new
gnome-center shell today, then things would be different for sure.

If the only bad thing of this is that it's not the correct long-term
solution, we'll probably do the change for the next gnome-menus release.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.