Re: GNOME Menus restructuring

We have done essentially this (with the extra Preferences menu in
between) for a few releases in Fedora, and we have gone back to using
a single Preferences menu by default now. The two main problems we
faced with this are

1) deep menus are hard (your approach kinda avoids this by nuking Preferences)

2) The categories are not clear enough to find what you are looking
for without constantly strolling through several submenus.

I don't think any amount of reorganization will make the menus really
good. A menu system is just not a good fit for this amount of data
that is not very strictly categorized.

I'd rather see us focus on moving away from these menus via
gnome-shell and  and new control-center shell.

Matthias