Re: (Partial) GNOME 3 status update

On Wed, 15.07.09 09:00, Diego Escalante Urrelo (diegoe gnome org) wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 20:02 +0200, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 19:49 +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> >
> > > Why don't we remove gst-mixer, vu-meter, gnome-cd and cddb-slave2
> > > completely from gnome media 2.27. People that want to keep on building
> > > them can use the 2.26 branch
> >
> > Not sure if somebody still uses gst-mixer (at least Fedora is using
> > gnome-volume-control instead of it) but the README here [1] says at
> > least the other three applications are disabled from the default build
> > anyway, and I agree with you it's not worth the effort to patch them to
> > use up-to-date platform technologies.
> >

> I use it because of the simplest ever use case not yet covered by PA:
> - PCM volume at 100% -> jerky sound
>
> PA assumes that I have PCM at 100% and I only need to adjust Master,

This is not really true. PA does not care about volume 'percentages',
it only cares about the dB values ALSA exports for those volume
steps. And for the 'inner' controls 0dB should equal no attenuation/no
amplification, i.e. be the value where you get the loudest output
without having to fear clipping.

> this is broken at least in my card (intel8x0) because if I were to put
> PCM at 100% I would get quite jerky sound (imagine a batteries fm
> radio). Right now PA only allows me to adjust Master, which is quite
> useless for me.

"alsactl init" should reset your control levels to 0dB, i.e. to a
position where you should not get clipping. If it doesn't file a bug
against ALSA.

Also, on PA 0.9.16 we actually merge the volume sliders that are in
the pipeline into one, where the 'outermost' slider applies the
biggest volume adjustment, while the inner ones are usually fixed to
0dB.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net