Re: (Partial) GNOME 3 status update

Hi

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Diego Escalante Urrelo<diegoe gnome org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 20:02 +0200, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 19:49 +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
>>
>> > Why don't we remove gst-mixer, vu-meter, gnome-cd and cddb-slave2
>> > completely from gnome media 2.27. People that want to keep on building
>> > them can use the 2.26 branch
>>
>> Not sure if somebody still uses gst-mixer (at least Fedora is using
>> gnome-volume-control instead of it) but the README here [1] says at
>> least the other three applications are disabled from the default build
>> anyway, and I agree with you it's not worth the effort to patch them to
>> use up-to-date platform technologies.
>>

> I use it because of the simplest ever use case not yet covered by PA:
> - PCM volume at 100% -> jerky sound
>
> PA assumes that I have PCM at 100% and I only need to adjust Master,
> this is broken at least in my card (intel8x0) because if I were to put
> PCM at 100% I would get quite jerky sound (imagine a batteries fm
> radio). Right now PA only allows me to adjust Master, which is quite
> useless for me.

Give 0.9.16-test2 a try, it deals with the different mixer Master/PCM
simultaneously, and it's fantastic, seriously.

> So what I do is having Master at 100% and PCM around 70%, if laptop
> speaker volume (hw control) is not strong enough I go to gst-mixer and
> adjust PCM up a little bit, giving away quality for some loudness.
>
> Not having gst-mixer would mean either having PCM at 100% all the time
> and getting jerky sound or having to go console or use some ugly thing
> like gnome-alsamixer. If it's not hurting anyone, please keep gst-mixer
> in the package.

For GNOME 3, and even before, this should be solved. There will be no
good reason, I hope, to keep gst-mixer. That's why it could be moved
to a different project. Especially if the GStreamer GstMixer is
deprecated.

regards,

--
Marc-André Lureau