Re: GNOME 2.26 Showstopper Review

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 23:12 +0100, Steve Frécinaux wrote:
> Alberto Ruiz wrote:

> >> Sure, is GnomePrint going to be shipped in 2.26? If the answer is "yes
> >> we do" there is no point in discussing it :)
> >> (and put it as a showstopper)
> >
> > Yes there is, if you include them, people with a 2.26 environment may
> > end up writing new applications that use them too.
>
> Can't you just raise a warning when importing one of the deprecated
> modules, so it still works for older applications but warn authors that
> it is obsolete?

Yes, we can do that.

Although there is always the risk that deprecating GnomeVFS will make
some users furious if there is no viable alternative to do the same
thing with GIO [1].  And I mean GIO + GIO Python bindings.  It could
happen that an application is using a GnomeVFS API for something that
GIO does not provide or for which there are no Python bindings, since
coverage is probably not 100%.

Maybe it's too soon to deprecate GnomeVFS?  I agree GnomePrint has been
replaced a long time ago, but GIO is too new IMHO.

[1] See bug #434023 for an example.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
"The universe is always one step beyond logic" -- Frank Herbert