Re: Tracker, Zeitgeist, Couchdb...where is the problem ?

Zeitgeist is an event aggregation framework that just makes sense of events happening on the computer. We have a defined format for how events should be understood. We don't extract metadata ourselves. The metadata is extracted by the applications that send the events since they know more about their docs then anything form the outside.
A typical Zeitgeist usecase would be providing documents most used with other documents or recently used with recent documents. Other usecases would be notifying applications with events of interests. Such as notifying parental control with any events with metadata related to porn etc...

Zeitgeist plays along well with CouchDB and Tracker:
Zeitgeist aggregats and logs events form apps! We try to make sense of incoming events (which documents are still open thus share tags etc...)
The engine uses a felxible DB module that allows us to use any kind of DB. This is  intended to later store individual events into the Tracker storage and team events into a CouchDB storage.

2009/8/18 Josselin Mouette <joss debian org>
Le mardi 18 août 2009 à 17:01 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
> Tracker the arguments are more complex; I think what they're
> effectively arguing is not that one individual use case but more the
> network effects from having all of them in one database ("where did I
> put that download from the email from Nancy" maybe?).  I'm not sure.
> But I won't attempt to summarize the previous thread.  I would like to
> see some sample UI though in something.

Well, that sole sentence summarizes the previous thread.

Tracker looks like great technology, but we need to see it in action
before putting it blindly in the desktop. If only 3 of all possible
Tracker uses were implemented in existing desktop applications, we would
be able to clearly tell whether it is worth including.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :