Re: Tracker, Zeitgeist, Couchdb...where is the problem ?

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Matthias
Clasen<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> I think this recent discussion about tracker as a gnome module is
> somewhat backwards. I don't think it is leading us anywhere to talk
> about ontologies and rdf and events and timelines and metadata stores
> and kernel apis before we answer the first question:
>
> What is the user problem that we are solving here ?
> Can that be described in a paragraph ?
> And if it can, is it something that a 'regular' user would recognize
> as a problem he has on his computer ?

How about:

Zeitgeist - provide means to find previously accessed data.

Tracker - provide a well-defined (not just name=value strings but
something close to an actual RDBMS) schema and service so desktop apps
can provide context for the data they present ("where did I get that
file from?", "is it related to any other files?", "what other John Doe
tracks do I have?").

CouchDB - I have no idea why a desktop might need that.

--
Patryk Zawadzki