Tracker, Zeitgeist, Couchdb...where is the problem ?

I think this recent discussion about tracker as a gnome module is
somewhat backwards. I don't think it is leading us anywhere to talk
about ontologies and rdf and events and timelines and metadata stores
and kernel apis before we answer the first question:

What is the user problem that we are solving here ?
Can that be described in a paragraph ?
And if it can, is it something that a 'regular' user would recognize
as a problem he has on his computer ?

Once we have the problem scoped out, we need to look at the user
experience we want to aim for in solving it. Will it be a single
search-for-everything dialog ? A query language ? Tagging everywhere ?

After that, it might be possible to evaluate whether tracker,
zeitgeist, couchdb or something else can be part of the
implementation...

Matthias