Re: Planning for GNOME 3.0

Il giorno dom, 19/04/2009 alle 14.31 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi ha scritto:
> On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 14:34 +0200, Sebastian Pölsterl wrote:
>
> > I think it would be a big mistake to omit applets in the new gnome desktop
> > evolution.
>
> why?
>
> we've been changing the platform gradually over the years, mostly by
> deprecating stuff and including new functionality. nevertheless, I
> haven't heard a single justification for the continued existence of
> "applets".

Mmmh, if I think about what applets I've been using in the last years,
I'd say just three have something not provided by the standard context
menu attached to systray icons.

They are: the one of gnome-system-monitor, hamster-applet, and
deskbar-applet. Also invest-chart presents the user with a sensible
applet, afaik.

I think these should be ported to the new infrastructure, and they make
sense as applets.

Matteo