Re: Planning for GNOME 3.0

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Sandy Armstrong
<sanfordarmstrong gmail com> wrote:

> What confuses me is why this wasn't discussed using the same module proposal
> process we have used for a few years now.  Many shiny new things have been
> blocked for cycle after cycle due to issues or lack of consensus from the
> community (only to be included when they are deemed to be ready).  Why is a
> new window manager not subject to this process?

I agree that a discussion like that (well, this now) would have been
good to have beforehand.

>  * What is the a11y story for gnome-shell and mutter?  Eiphany+Webkit has
> blocked on this for several cycles now.

My understanding on this is that once we have the requisite pieces to
embed GTK+ in Clutter, we'll get a significant chunk of this
immediately.  The components which are custom UI will require custom
a11y work.

>  * What is the applet story for gnome-shell?  As the maintainer of a GNOME
> applet (Tomboy), I accept that there may be significant work to port our
> applet to a new infrastructure, but now I'm concerned that I will also need
> to *create* that infrastructure (because gnome-shell is basically being
> imposed upon us, and not going through the regular process, I can only
> assume that if there's no applet infrastructure, it's my fault for not
> caring enough to contribute one).

No, not at all.  I think it should be gnome-shell's responsibility
mostly.  This is a complex discussion though.  I think we ultimately
will end up with a multifaceted approach.  The "core desktop" applets
like clock, user switcher etc. are being ported directly.  We should
add the Tomboy applet that list.