Re: Quotation marks: Using =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9C=E2=80=9D?= instead of ""

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 16:54 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Don't we already have plenty of non-ASCII POT files?
> > I know gnome-doc-utils is non-ASCII.
>
> That would be a bug...
>
> > that we've had all this functionality for quite a while, but
> > we're still typing as if we're on old typewriters.  What do
> > we need to do, as programmers, to get the world out of its
> > ASCII rut?
>
> Put the English quotes in the en_US and en_GB translations, put German
> quotes in the de ones and so on.

Who's going to manage the en locale?  As a developer,
when I write a string, I don't want to have to write
some bastardized form first, then go add the actual
string somewhere else.

The en locale is nice for temporary typo fixes when
we're late in a release cycle.  Anything else is just
an annoyance to developers.

Honestly, other than being pedantic, I don't see the
problem with UTF-8 in the C locale.  Does it cause
any *actual* problems?  I've never once gotten a bug
report against g-d-u about this.

--
Shaun