Re: Need Leadership

natan yellin schrieb:
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Sebastian Pölsterl <marduk k-d-w org>
wrote:

Diego Escalante Urrelo schrieb:

Hey,

On 6/28/08, Thomas H.P. Andersen <phomes gmail com> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Dave Neary <bolsh gnome org> wrote:

 But this all getting a bit off topic I guess :) I just wanted to point
 out two things that might motivate developers (ego boosts and personal
 profit) and see if there are ways we can help those along. The ego
 boosting is already there. There can be enough hacker energy for weeks
 in a single "Awesome!" One way we could do more of this could be a
 periodical vote for the CoolestHacker or whatever.

What if we hack a twitter like thing for GNOME where we can drop a
line about what are we doing now or we did this week in GNOME, or
maybe just a random thought. At the end of the week or biweekly
someone grabs the best lines and sends a GNOME Almost Weekly News.
It would work as an informal way of keeping track of what we are doing
(in human readable format) and a way to comment on what other cool
guys are doing. Pretty much like twitter:

 I like the idea. That would be an easy way to keep track of what's
happening in GNOME at a central place. The main problem I see is to convince
developers that they actually post their status updates.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose. If developers don't want to post, forcing
them to do so isn't going to attract more contributors.

I don't want to force developers to post at all. But there should be a number of developers that post regularly. Maybe I'm wrong and most developers love to post their status updates their. I don't know.

Besides, isn't this the point of project/people trackers like CIA and Ohloh?

Those sites just track stats. The doesn't tell you what the developer's plans are. Sure you could read the commit messages, but it's cumbersome to read all new commit messages of the projects you're interested in.

--
Greetings,
Sebastian Pölsterl