Re: Quotation marks: Using =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9C=E2=80=9D?= instead of ""

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 19:51 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > All of that means that there are no run-time problems.
> > The only actual concern is whether compilers will choke
> > on UTF-8 source files.  Alan says that, according to the
> > standard, a compiler would be perfectly right to choke.
> > I believe him.  I also don't care.
>
> I don't think that one is a show stopper because if you can guarantee the
> rest will not break C provides you with \ escapes so you can paste the
> string in that way. So the question is the one about feeding utf-8 to
> glibc functions and internal cleanness of gtk/glib (eg what C library
> dependancies does it have). Having to use \ escapes for the quotes is a
> trivial inconvenience.

One place that we have seen compilers choke is on Windows ... we used
to have literal UTF-8 strings in the GTK+ sources, and on Chinese localized
windows, that caused MSVC problems. So we switched to octal escapes.

But it should be noted these problems were 4-5 years ago, and the versions
of Windows and MSVC may have been much older.

- Owen