Re: Requiring DOAP instead of MAINTAINERS file
- From: Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org>
- To: Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
- Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Requiring DOAP instead of MAINTAINERS file
- Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:10:01 +0100
On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 02:26:54PM +0100, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> So let's bring this at some constructive level.
> Attached is a script that converts files of this kind, I suggest the
> name "PROJECT-INFO", into DOAP files. Attached there also is some
> initial script for converting this file into DOAP.
In theory this is fine, however it does has some limitations:
1. I assume I can use some existing DOAP validator when using that
directly . This format would have to be checked manually (maintenance)
2. I want every field/option in doap to be in here. Including releases I
mean. (also the gnome userid, but that is easy)
3. Someone has to maintain below script, but hopefully mostly one-off.
4. It is not as extensible as that Turtle/RDF format (main objection)..
e.g. with the mailing lists, at one point I might think about some field
that says 'this is the devel list'.. in the beginning I might just check
for something simple, e.g.
1 mailing list --> devel list
2+ mailing lists --> whatever has 'devel' in the name
fallback: 1st mentioned mailing list
but that logic might break down and could be too confusing (never sure
how it is parsed).
5. Not related to the format: PROJECT-INFO implies you want this in the
repository of some module?
This breaks down with gnomemm, and the more intense SVN repos changes
(when you move /trunk directory).. that'll break any pre-commit hook
(6). It still has the discoverability problem (how do you know what fields to
use?) But that is not really different from RDF / xml / etc.
] [Thread Prev