Re: Requiring DOAP instead of MAINTAINERS file

On Jan 18, 2008 1:08 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 12:04 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> > > <Project xmlns:rdf="";
> > >          xmlns:foaf="";
> > >          xmlns="";>
> > > [...]
> >
> > What are the real benefits of DOAP (sounds like "dope," nice)? If it's
> > meant for machines to query against then a database would be more
> > useful.
> this would be a database. DOAP is a just a human/machine readable
> storage for data, which gets parsed and used as the source for
> generating other stuff, like project pages and checks like Olav
> proposed.

I mean proper RDBMS. Once you get that in place you can generate
DOAP/RDF/XML/whatever on the fly with little to no effort.

> > > if I'd say something about DOAP is that sometimes is overly verbose; but
> > > it's quite descriptive and easy to parse/write, even by humans. most of
> > > this data is not even meant to be changed often: the only sections that
> > > changes regularly is the releases one - and that would be automagically
> > > updated by the install-module script if I understood Olav's mail
> > > correctly.
> > Again, what is the use case for DOAP inside GNOME?
> have you read the email Olav sent?

Yes, see above. I clearly see the need of a better solution to
MAINTAINERS problem but I think DOAP is parallel to that. It could be
useful to deliver information outside but I believe GNOME would
benefit from something else more on the inside.

Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution