Re: Tomboy replacement

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Mark Fink <mpfink gmail com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Curtis Hovey <sinzui is verizon net> wrote:
>  > On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 20:41 -0500, Mark Fink wrote:
>  > > I've just started a replacement for Tomboy. I think it (or another
>  > > notes program if there already is one) should replace Tomboy ASAP in
>  > > the GNOME desktop because Tomboy is poisoning GNOME distributions like
>  > > Red Hat and Ubuntu with it's Microsoft patented MONO dependency crap
>  > > as you can read about on
>  > > http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/15/mono-contamination-in-ubuntu/

Hilarious. We can't also let Knuth poison GNOME with his algorithms
and datatypes. I guess it's the same for Ritchie or Kernighan with
their C.

>  > > I've never written a program before so I also need some help. Also I
>  > > need a place to put it on the web.

It's not the proper place to ask for a free training in software engineering.

>  > > I've already gotten it so you can type stuff in a text field, so it
>  > > already almost has all the functionality you need in a note taking
>  > > program.

Yes, that requires about... 5 lines in Python.

>  > If you don't want to run Tomboy, just add sticky notes to your panel--it
>  > predates Tomboy. Tomboy is popular because it rocks, not because it is
>  > Mono-based, or because distro chose to make it the default app over
>  > sticky notes (I'm not certain it is a default app in Ubuntu or Fedora).
>  > What you are setting out to do is create an extensible wiki-like gui
>  > editor. Good luck.
>  Then sticky notes needs to replace Tomboy as the official GNOME notes
>  program because it is stupid to allow MONO into GNOME. MONO programs
>  CANNOT be allowed to be in GNOME! This only helps M$ destroy Linux!
>  Don't you see!? You are just helping Microvell poison Linux so that
>  they can control it and/or attack it with patents. Anyone who doesn't
>  see this is a retard.

Call me a retard then. Linux is a kernel. GNOME is not Linux. dotNet
is a common runtime and compiler for a set of languages. Mono is a
reimplementation of dotNet. C# is not more MS than Ruby or Python is.
They all run on both Mono and dotNet. You sir fail to understand both
technology and patents.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution