Re: New svn module: gnome-sound-theme

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 14:36 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> Sandy:
>
> > Huh?  Isn't FLAC a *compressed* format?  Lossless != uncompressed.
>
> Sorry, my confusion.  The current Sound Theme spec only has supported
> sound file formats for uncompressed and compressed formats.
>
> I think most people who deal with audio care more about lossy versus
> lossless formats than whether the data is compressed or not.  Most
> people would probably prefer compressed as a default due to the large
> size of audio files.
>
> I think the spec should, at the very least, include FLAC as the
> recommended compressed lossless format and OGG/Vorbs as the
> recommended compressed lossy format.
>
> If people think an uncompressed lossless format has any value, then it
> we should consider a better format than WAV, which has a 4 GB filesize
> limitation, while Sony Media WAV 64 (W64) allows for longer recording
> times.

erm... for the sound theme spec? you really think you'll hit the 4GB
file size limit for a sound effect to be used when logging in/out (which
are the longest running effects on my laptop)?

if we want to ditch WAV because it's a Microsoft- and IBM-backed format
then surely we can dig out another technical reason we can use to
justify not to use it; also, I'd consider a Sony-backend format just as
evil.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--