Re: New clock applet for 2.22

Le lundi 24 septembre 2007, à 17:29 -0400, Bryan Clark a écrit :
>    On 9/24/07, Diego Escalante Urrelo <[1]diegoe gnome org> wrote:
>
>      On 9/24/07, Matthias Clasen <[2]matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
>      > On 9/24/07, Vincent Untz <[3]vuntz gnome org> wrote:
>      > > Calvin Gaisford and I have been discussing this a few weeks ago and
>      > > he'll work on getting the two merged. My preference is to use the
>      > > current backend code, and import the intltool UI in the clock. I
>      don't
>      > > think it will be really hard, although I don't know how much work
>      this
>      > > involves. I'm a bit unsatisfied with the UI, though, since it means
>      > > having a lot of information in the popup. So usability input would
>      be
>      > > great.
>
>    I'd love to hear some feedback from others. There are some consistency
>    issues most people can probably spot, like the [Edit] buttons should
>    probably be [Edit...] since they open other windows to complete the
>    interaction.  Things like that I believe can be done pretty quickly and
>    aren't worth going back and forth on a mailing list about.
>
>    More obvious changes that are unlike other places in GNOME might warrant
>    some discussion.  Usually GNOME applets would tend towards a hidden Right
>    Click menu option off the main applet and this design went with having the
>    Edit buttons appear inline of the interface because I believe if they are
>    visually less strong than the surrounding parts they provide a more
>    discoverable set of interactions for the interface. YMMV.  This is some of
>    the cause I've found for people to say the UI looks busier than it has to
>    be.
>
>    The [Set] button appears only on mouse rollover of the timezone areas,
>    normally it wouldn't be readily visible.  I'm not entirely sold on this
>    yet, my original design had a different method but I'd like to have this
>    tested out before trying to make more changes.
>
>    If you have specific areas you feel need improvement I'd be more than
>    willing to attempt to address them on this or another list if it's more
>    appropriate.

My main concern is that in this popup, you can easily have:

 + one calendar
 + one map
 + three timezones
 + 7 tasks
 + 3 appointments
 + 1 birthday

In 2.20, the clock now uses expanders for tasks/appointments/birthdays,
so it might mitigate the issue a bit, but I still feel this is
overcrowded.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.