Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

Hi Olav

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 00:15 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 11:04:43PM +0100, Alex Jones wrote:
> FWIW, I'm extremely keen on keeping Gossip going. I personally feel that
> Telepathy is potentially dangerous to our cause. I mean, great, you can
> voice-video chat with your MSN friends, but you still need an MSN
> account. One step forward, two steps back.

IMO purposely not supporting something that is in some countries (like
mine) widely used will ensure your program will not get used.

Make it possible for me to chat. I don't care what method it uses (I
prefer Jabber, but if someone is on MSN and doesn't want to use e.g.
Google Talk, so be it). If you want to advocate free services, make the
free services easier to use and better integrated in the application.
We would, but people seem to be more interested in high-fiving each other over abstraction layers that de-value underlying protocols.

If a program doesn't allow me to chat with my friends (which is what
I primarily want in an IM app), then how do you expect me ever to
discover the benefits of a free service?
We have legacy transports that provide a basic level of support, but it will always be a balancing act, much like the reverse-engineering work in Telepathy/Farsight. Pissing away free development hours chasing a moving target wild geese just so that we can pretend to be compatible is irrefutably masochistic, and I'd really like it to stop. But when Nokia drives a truck of money up to Collabora's offices, I've no problem there, they can do what they like.