Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 05:31:32PM -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> On 9/23/07, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> >
> > > today. Are we going to help Empathy with it's effort to some day offer a
> > > point-for-point feature match? That's what we are discussing.
> >
> > I don't believe this is what is meant with joining the GNOME project. It
> > is not that we do a 'oh, lets reassign some persons from $PROJECT to
> > Empathy'.
>

> I agree with your statement about developer allocation. But that's not what
> I mean. Inclusion in the official Gnome suite adds a certain level of
> additional credibility to a project. And while this is always good for the
> project in question, in this case, we would publicly be encouraging the
> fragmentation of the de facto Gnome desktop IM space.
>
> Would the benefits of telepathy over libpurple outweigh the damage done to
> community coherancy? At this point, it seems that it would have a net
> negative effect on end user experience over the course of the next 2-3 years
> in the sense that two integratable IM projects would have competing teams of
> folks working on integrating said applications with the Gnome deskop
> applications.
>
> In practice, this means more work for module maintainers who have to accept
> patches from two different IM projects.

  So Pidgin developer should quickly rework it to be only on of UI for
telepathy-managed connection. Same thing shoudl Gajim developers do.

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
zdzichu irc -nie spam- pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox