Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

Le lundi 24 septembre 2007 �0:12 +0100, Alex Jones a �it :
> Hi Olav
>
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 00:15 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 11:04:43PM +0100, Alex Jones wrote:
> > > FWIW, I'm extremely keen on keeping Gossip going. I personally feel that
> > > Telepathy is potentially dangerous to our cause. I mean, great, you can
> > > voice-video chat with your MSN friends, but you still need an MSN
> > > account. One step forward, two steps back.
> >
> > IMO purposely not supporting something that is in some countries (like
> > mine) widely used will ensure your program will not get used.
> >
> > Make it possible for me to chat. I don't care what method it uses (I
> > prefer Jabber, but if someone is on MSN and doesn't want to use e.g.
> > Google Talk, so be it). If you want to advocate free services, make the
> > free services easier to use and better integrated in the application.
> We would, but people seem to be more interested in high-fiving each
> other over abstraction layers that de-value underlying protocols.
>
> > If a program doesn't allow me to chat with my friends (which is what
> > I primarily want in an IM app), then how do you expect me ever to
> > discover the benefits of a free service?
> We have legacy transports that provide a basic level of support, but
> it will always be a balancing act, much like the reverse-engineering
> work in Telepathy/Farsight. Pissing away free development hours
> chasing a moving target wild geese just so that we can pretend to be
> compatible is irrefutably masochistic, and I'd really like it to stop.
> But when Nokia drives a truck of money up to Collabora's offices, I've
> no problem there, they can do what they like.

Nokia's N800 only supports Jabber and SIP, they don't pay for
reverse-engineer proprietary protocols AFAIK... telepathy-butterfly and
pymsn (MSN support for Telepathy framework) are 100% community work!

Xavier Claessens.