Re: Pulseaudio

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 07:34 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Nickolay V. Shmyrev">
>
> > I also don't like Pulseaudio for exactly same reasons as Gustavo and
> > Ronald. I don't see how this will improve our desktop or will help our
> > users.
>
> I'd like our music or video players to turn down and/or pause when I receive
> a VoIP call. I'd like delicious plug and play experience with audio hardware
> (be it USB, bluetooth, whatever). PulseAudio provides a solid infrastructure
> to provide those features to our users. It's not *just* about audio mixing.

It's also about power saving (especially with the ongoing work in ALSA's
hrtimer support), legacy applications support (ie. all the GNOME apps),
pure bug fixing (esound has architectural issues that are unfixable),
actually working for video playback (synchronisation actually works).

And it has fun bits like simultaneous multiple sound cards output
(output to both your streaming device and your actual speakers),
on-the-fly output switching (try that with esd...), and remote output
integration with avahi (select the other outputs on your local network
easily).

It also works on FreeBSD, and Solaris.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>