Re: Cairo-1.2.6 required

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 13:07 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> My knowledge of bindings is at best zero, but I don't see any reason why
> they shouldn't work with 1.3.x.  Cairo has the same strong API/ABI
> guarantees that GNOME Platform modules have.
>
> That said, we are thinking of possibly changing return type of some
> functions from void to int or cairo_status_t.  AFAWK that will not break
> API/ABI on any interesting platform.  Though, bindings need  to be
> updated to support the new information being returned (most probably
> throwing an exception if the returned status is not SUCCESS).

Changing the return type of a method is an ABI break in C#.  I have had
to work around changes like this in the past in the Gtk+ API.  They
force me to manually alter the generated Gtk#/Gnome# bindings to
maintain stability.

It would definitely make my life easier if changes like this were added
using a new name.

--
Mike Kestner  <mkestner novell com>
SUSE® Linux Enterprise 10