Re: recommended D-Bus version for GNOME releases

Frederic Crozat wrote:

Both assertions and tests mode are following maintainer-mode. I was
thinking it was best for developers to use dbus with assertions enabled
(as well as other parts of the stack, like warning as critical for
glib / gtk), so bad use of dbus are catched early during tests.

Or am I wrong and --enable-checks (which is by default) is enough ?

You are right that developers probably want to enable assertions (for a dbus you will install, even for testing, enabling tests has little purpose; --enable-tests is only adding the ability to "make check", so you only need it if you're hacking on dbus itself)

I just would not enable assertions for something shipped in a real release. Basically, any release you would do security updates for should not have assertions in it (since the assertions probably increase security risk and definitely have a performance impact). --enable-tests may even introduce security holes because it e.g. adds additional search paths for files.

Havoc