Re: Cairo-1.2.6 required

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 10:56 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:

> Sounds good to me, but there is (at least) one issue.  Do
> pycairo-1.2.6 and cairomm-1.2.4 work with cairo-1.3.x?  I don't see
> any pycairo-1.3.x or cairomm-1.3.x at either
> http://cairographics.org/releases/ or
> http://cairographics.org/snapshots/, so I'm worried about breaking
> gtkmm and pygtk.  cairo-java and the perl equivalent may have similar
> issues...  Does anyone have any more details on this?

My knowledge of bindings is at best zero, but I don't see any reason why
they shouldn't work with 1.3.x.  Cairo has the same strong API/ABI
guarantees that GNOME Platform modules have.

That said, we are thinking of possibly changing return type of some
functions from void to int or cairo_status_t.  AFAWK that will not break
API/ABI on any interesting platform.  Though, bindings need  to be
updated to support the new information being returned (most probably
throwing an exception if the returned status is not SUCCESS).

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759