Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center

The solutions requiring directory renames etc., are also a nightmare and
having run Windows in Norwegian and then struggled as things fucked up
as things are placed in 'Program Files' instead of 'Program Filer' in
the filesystem  I am sure any attempt we make at localizing directory
structures will cause users much more harm than anything else.
And as far as your examples go both Firefox and OpenOffice would be
'GNOME' as far as this goes.

But at the end of the day these are implementation details. The real
question is what problems we are trying to fix and if there is general
agreement those problems need fixing. For Elisa we would really like to
avoid having to present the users with a file hierarchy in the GUI if
possible which means we need a means of being able to find their media
files without for instance popping up a directory chooser. The simple
solution is to start from the user home directory and search everything
recursively. The problem with this approach is that it can be very time
consuming on many users system which is why being able to depend on only
needing to search certain subdirectory hierarchies could be a tempting
solution.

People have mentioned Tracker on this mailing list and we do plan on
investigating using that as it would be a good solution to our problem.
We are though a little worried about performance of such a solution, not
because we know of any concrete performance hitches with Tracker, but
just a general worry that a generic all directory encompassing solution
might not give  performance at a level acceptable to our users. From
experience I know that music player developers for instance are very
sensitive to how fast they are able to display items in your 10 000 song
collection and get the metadata from those songs onto the screen.

Christian