Re: New Control Centre

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 13:57 -0500, Joe Shaw wrote:

> > and mmap eats as much memory as loading them into RAM (as soon as you
> > scan enough pages which is more than likely since linux typically block
> > reads 255 pages at a time into its read-ahead buffer)
>
> Yeah, but this is largely an irrelevant implementation detail.  Exactly
> how it's stored and read in will require some profiling; my point is
> that it's probably a simpler path than requiring a daemon and having a
> fallback.

not really. In sqlite you would store condensed versions without all the
translations and junk (IE it would be locale specific). That probably
saves you 90%.

oh and no daemon is needed. The menu already uses inotify to watch and
if it can keep a record of the last modified dates on the folders then
it can see if anything has changed since it was last run and rebuild the
sqlite index if necessary.

(im sure the sqlite index would also interest deskbar as it needs fast
access to desktop files)

jamie.