Re: New Control Centre

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 17:26 +0000, jamie wrote:
> wont you still suffer form disk access penalty still?
>
> reading 1000 files = 10 second delay (assuming 10ms access time on disk)

You suffer this penalty no matter what.  Ideally you would spread it out
over time (incrementally building it at package install time, for
instance).

> and mmap eats as much memory as loading them into RAM (as soon as you
> scan enough pages which is more than likely since linux typically block
> reads 255 pages at a time into its read-ahead buffer)

Yeah, but this is largely an irrelevant implementation detail.  Exactly
how it's stored and read in will require some profiling; my point is
that it's probably a simpler path than requiring a daemon and having a
fallback.

Joe