Re: Extreme memory usage for gnome-panel related apps

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 20:42 +0000, jamie wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 14:37 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 15:36 +0000, jamie wrote:
> >
> > > Vala of course -
> >
> > Rewriting every application in another language isn't the answer for
> > resource usage.  Not that Vala is bad, on the contrary it seems nice for
> > some use cases, but in terms of engineering effort it would be far
> > easier to rework various Python applications like deskbar,sealert etc.
> > to run in a single Python process.
> >
> > And more generally, to have one VM per language type, rather than per
> > app.
> >
> so if one app dies your entire desktop dies too?
> As far as python goes the big culprit is PyGTK AFAICT - it seems to
> contribute a huge amount of bloat
> A better way may be to have the front end of say deskbar in c/c++/vala
> and embed python for the existing plugins (which do not use pygtk

If PyGTK is bloated, shouldn't the answer be to fix PyGTK rather than to
rewrite every piece of code using it?

Personally, I hate coding in C - I have better things to do with my time
than to deal with things I don't really have to deal with. And I know
there are a lot of people like me, or else PyGTK etc. wouldn't be so
popular. "Go back to C" just isn't an acceptable option.