Re: Extreme memory usage for gnome-panel related apps

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 16:03 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 21:56 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
>

> > So how would this be done? One Python thread to run each applet in?
>
> No, every applet runs in the same thread, using the same main loop.
> If the applet is written correctly, it does everything that potentially
> blocks (say retrieving data over HTTP) already in another thread or
> otherwise asynchronously.  Thus it would be safe to have multiple
> programs sharing a mainloop.

Well, at least that's one way to do it. What you are proposing is
essentially cooperative multitasking. (Not saying it's necessarily bad)

(This also just reminds me of how awful it is to use multiple web
applications (flickr, facebook, gmail) in the same browser process since
each of them slows down the others considerably.)

    David