Re: Extreme memory usage for gnome-panel related apps

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 14:37 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 15:36 +0000, jamie wrote:
>
> > Vala of course - http://live.gnome.org/Vala
>
> Rewriting every application in another language isn't the answer for
> resource usage.  Not that Vala is bad, on the contrary it seems nice for
> some use cases, but in terms of engineering effort it would be far
> easier to rework various Python applications like deskbar,sealert etc.
> to run in a single Python process.
>
> And more generally, to have one VM per language type, rather than per
> app.

so if one app dies your entire desktop dies too?

As far as python goes the big culprit is PyGTK AFAICT - it seems to
contribute a huge amount of bloat

A better way may be to have the front end of say deskbar in c/c++/vala
and embed python for the existing plugins (which do not use pygtk
AFAICT)

Python works best when its embedded and shows its real utility in apps
like Epiphany and Rhythmbox but I cant say Im impressed by standalone
GTK python apps...

jamie