Re: GUnique [Was: gnome-utils branched for GNOME 2.16]

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 19:36 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> I agree that we don't really want another shared library, long term.
> Luckily, it should be easy to update apps when GUnique becomes part of
> some other library, as the code required to use GUnique is pretty
> small.  As to how we get there, though, Matthias and others with more
> knowledge of the platform stack will need to comment.

First, sorry for branching the thread.

If we use linguniqueapp as a shared library we can use it in
applications now (2.17), and during the 2.18 cycle. If libguniqueapp is
included in gtk+ at some state (and GNOME depends on this new version)
then I think it is very sane to "convert" apps to use the new gtk
feature and depreciate libguniqueapp. Think like eggtrayicon to
GtkStatusIcon, only less copy and paste ;-)

I also think one of the reasons it was not written with gtk+ as a target
was the "level choice" i.e. does this stuff belong in gtk+, libgnome,
<insert_project_ridley_module_here> or some other module.

So I propose, tell maintainers to link against linguniqueapp (as it's
more sane that what we have already[1]) and then depreciate it in a
couple of years time when we've decided where it belongs. This means
maintainers like me get single-instance support *now*.

Just my opinion tho.

Richard.

[1] Which are lots of hacks IMO.