Empowering platform developers [Was: GUnique]

<quote who="Richard Hughes">

> I also think one of the reasons it was not written with gtk+ as a target
> was the "level choice" i.e. does this stuff belong in gtk+, libgnome,
> <insert_project_ridley_module_here> or some other module.

It's really important we put a lid in this kind of confusion quickly, so we
can breathe life back into coherent platform design and development. It is a
serious problem when some of our best hackers don't feel empowered to design
for a particular target: Seriously, why *wouldn't* GTK+ be the correct place
to solve this *obviously* important use case (how many apps on our desktop
or embedded environments do or should need this functionality - heaps)?

I'm not giving you stick here, Richard... although reading back I realise it
may sound that way. Mostly, I'm rocking the boat to find out how we can do
platform design and development in a more coherent way. Is the GTK+ team too
scary? Are GNOME platform requirements incompatible with GTK+ at all? Can we
build a better bridge between the projects? How can we break the cycle of
bollocks solutions like libegg and so on? How do we empower platform hackers
to make decisions and Get Things Done?

- Jeff

--
Ohio LinuxFest 2006: Columbus OH, USA              http://www.ohiolinux.org/

          "Not a lot of brothers there." - Jamie Foxx on Australia