Re: International Space Station Images

Hi;

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 21:38 +0400, Maxim Udushlivy wrote:

> Thanks, Elijah for the reply: it is a bit harsh but I like honesty and
> hate "political correctness". Now I see that as a newcomer I have a
> little chance to be heard.

Your chances improve as soon as you try to understand how the thing
works, instead of throwing stuff around.

> I think it is obvious that Gnome owes to GTK+ its very existence. How
> can you explain this page:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArchitecture/Overview
>
> Scroll down to "Near future - the 2.16 platform" and try to find GTK+ on
> the diagram. There is something called "UI Library Project Ridely" under
> "Gnome Platform" section.

That is really confusing - even to me.  I assume that the author of the
diagram wanted to convey the idea of GTK+ after Project Ridley is
completed using a placeholder name instead of "GTK+ + everything that
survived or has been created under the Project Ridley umbrella".

But you're lucky: GNOME Live! is a wiki, and it's very probable that the
author of that page is getting notification for changes; so, if you want
a clarification on what the page says you just have to add a note to it,
or mail the author directly.

>  At the same time "Gnome Bindings" lists GTK+
> wrappers using their full names.
>
> It seems to me that Gnome is digging a grave for GTK+. What attitude can
> you expect from me now?

If you had looked at the Project Ridley page on the very same wiki[1]
you'd have seen that "Project Ridley" is an ongoing project involving
GTK+ and some GNOME libraries.  When Ridley is declared complete, and we
have achieved its goals, the result will always be GTK+ but in turn
we'll have a bunch of other libraries plus a whole bunch of deprecated
stuff.

So, the attitude we can expect from a person whom wants to contribute
something to GNOME in terms of organisation and policies is to try and
understand the current organisation, policies and goals; and only after
that, proposing to change something (complete with a nice road map and
rationales for every point).

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--