Re: [Usability] Drive applet by default

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 14:05 +0200, Isak Savo wrote:
> I think he's talking about the fact that when you "unmount" a USB
> device in windows, the devices are often turning off their leds to
> indicate that they are now turned off. When unmounting in linux, this
> is often not the case (although the device *is* properly unmounted and
> data is flushed, so it's just a cosmetic thing.).

Right, I've seen this too. It would be nice to turn power down the USB
device when we've unmounted / ejected it. Unfortunately run-time power
management is pretty weak in Linux but people are actually working on
it. When it lands in Linux and is generally usable, we'll export this in
HAL and it's easy to take advantage of from the desktop.

That said, I believe I've seen USB devices that still keep the LED on
even when told to suspend. Not sure about that, maybe I'm wrong.

    David