Re: [Usability] Drive applet by default

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 23:24 +0100, Toby Smithe wrote:
> > Pretty sure the PCMCIA stuff is not needed on recent Linux 2.6. At least
> > it just works for me on Fedora and it's not like we're doing anything
> > special in userland.
>
> It doesn't just work. emu10k1 doesn't unload on eject, and when the card
> is put back in, it doesn't recognise the card is back. It needs to be
> manually unloaded and reloaded. pccardctl doesn't make much difference.
> And, yes, I've filed bugs!

Pretty sure that is just kernel / driver bugs, not something we should
try to work around on the desktop.

> I can live with an extra process running to gain this functionality, but
> I'm in the minority here, so I'd understand if nothing came of it.

Well, one thing is sure. If we start adding features to the desktop to
work around broken drivers it will only take longer to get such bugs
fixed. Of course, as with everything there's a fine balance...

    David