Re: Nine Months in Six Months

On 08/09/06, Hubert Figuiere <hub figuiere net> wrote:
On Friday 08 September 2006 08:57, James Henstridge wrote:
> The real issue with handling development in parallel branches is
> really complexity of merging. This is an area where Subversion
> doesn't really buy you much over CVS -- you still need to manually
> keep track of what you merged to do a repeated merge.

Yet another piece or urban legend.
Obviously you have never used the command svnmerge (now part of the svn
package).
http://www.dellroad.org/svnmerge/index

That software just automates the task of recording where you have
merged up to, which is not particularly sophisticated.  I used a
similar script when maintaining the Gnome customisations of ViewCVS on
cvs.gnome.org to handle merges of new changes imported from upstream.

The problems listed with the svnmerge tool seem to be the same as the
ones you run into with CVS: spurious conflicts when working with more
than one two branches are involved, not detecting changes that
originated in the target branch, etc.

James.