Re: Nine Months in Six Months

James Henstridge wrote:
On 08/09/06, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
  Your master plan implies branching early and heavily committing to
both branches for a long time.  Reality check: we are still using this
archaic software called C.V.S.! Branching with that software is
incredibly complex.

  Your master plan is blocked by bug #99999999: "migration to
subversion".

The real issue with handling development in parallel branches is
really complexity of merging.  This is an area where Subversion
doesn't really buy you much over CVS -- you still need to manually
keep track of what you merged to do a repeated merge.

Actually, what would be great is to have a SCM that allows cherry-picking of patches (like git and mercurial I think). This allow to backport useful patches very easily if apply clean changesets.