Re: Proposal: gnome-main-menu for inclusion in GNOME 2.18

On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 11:23 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Should GNOME include slab? IMHO, yes, while there are some relevant
> stuff that should be fixed or rearranged IMHO (see below)
>
> Should GNOME switch to slab and dump current panel menu applet? IMHO,
> no. I don't know what could be the better layout for GNOME panel, of if
> it exists. I know that some users are fine with current layout, some
> others could appreciate slab.

I agree with this, at the very least until the slab gets a bit more
testing and polish. When I use it in ways that seem to be not quite what
the author expects, I kept hitting rough edges. One noticeable example
for me was putting it on a right-hand panel and discovering that the
label is back-to-front compared with the standard menu and the clock.

It is however a lot nicer to navigate for odd panel locations, the
standard menu is a bit of a dog when it is on a right-hand panel since
the submenus are forced to the left and the arrow keys end up backwards.

 - Callum