Re: Metacity Compositor

BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
On 10/4/06, Rob Adams <readams readams net> wrote:
The effort required to add eye candy effects to metacity is much
smaller, in my opinion, than the effort required to make compiz a good,
usable window manager.  Most of the effects code is likely to be
reusable in metacity and KWin; compiz makes for a good experimental

Are you sure? Compositing in Metacity has been in progress at least
since August 2004. It doesnt seem like a small effort.

I don't think "in progress" is very accurate, at least I have not seen a lot of code going in, granted I haven't been paying huge amounts of attention.

I don't understand why it would be a huge effort for 2D stuff like minimize animations, drop shadows, etc. Think xrender rather than opengl.

But, I have not really been involved in the conversations about it and can't say I have a deep understanding.

Havoc